Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 24, 2014

I was almost robbed.

(Written earlier this month)

I almost got robbed yesterday.

It was pouring outside so I had a hood on quickly walking to my car trying to avoid the rain. A man looking of Middle Eastern descent, dressed in his own hood with hands in his pockets kept trying to get my attention. He spoke with a thick accent that I couldn't place.

It struck me as odd as he was kind of just free-floating around the parking lot, drenched in water. He approached my car with earnest.

I didn't listen to him and briskly opened my car door and closed it while I started the engine. I'd already gotten into the habit of automatically locking my door and I'm so grateful for that.

As he drew closer to my driver window and I heard him slightly pulling my door handle. The sound resonated in my head and sent me into hyper-awareness. He then wanted me to roll down my window... I refused. I put my finger up to indicate one moment as began to back out of the parking space.

I could hear him say "Wait!" as I lined myself up on the road but I wasn't done. As I did this, he went to passenger side window. I switched the gear to drive, ready to go in a moments notice. In that instant, the look on his face fully changed from hopeful to disappointed.

I then rolled down my passenger window ever so slightly as if to say, "Try it punk, I'm so ready." He put his face up to the cracked window and started spouting off gibberish that I couldn't understand.

"What?" I asked.

"Do you live around here??" He said, finally speaking English.

"No, I'm just visiting..." I lied.

At this, the shoddy looking man turned around into the sea of rain, hands still in pockets looking for someone else to terrorize.

Let this be a warning, this happened in my parking lot. It can happen to you too. I just got lucky the rain made me quick to my car. The man was holding something in his pocket, it could have been anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment